A major challenge in the corridor has been the ongoing complex bridge replacement projects including the replacement of the Winter Street Bridge at Exit 27 and the Main Street Bridge at Exit 26, both along Route 128. Concerned about these projects, the Alliance developed a working relationship with MassDOT to monitor the progress of key projects.
Alliance Key Accomplishments and Ongoing Projects:
- Worked with Mass Department of Transportation (MassDOT) to monitor the status of the Winter Street Bridge construction project during a time of critical delays. Developed strategies to enhance communications with member businesses as well as provide feedback on construction sequencing and schedule.
- Initiated efforts with MassDOT on the completion of safety and access improvements to the Wyman Street entry ramp in Waltham and the Interstate 128 southbound entry ramp from Winter Street eastbound. In 2016 and 2017 worked with the proponent and MassDOT on the plans for the Third Ave/ Prospect Hill intersection and Exit 27 ramp modifications as part of permitting for a major proposed development.
- Supported joint efforts of the Central Corridor Coalition (C3), representing the communities of Burlington, Lincoln, Lexington, Waltham and Weston, in working with the Metropolitan Area Planning Council on developing a 128 Central Corridor Plan. The plan can be found here: Route 128 Central Corridor Plan
- Drafted a set of 128 Central Corridor Infrastructure Priorities working with the Massachusetts Secretary of Housing and Economic Development. See Key Priorities
- Supported efforts to complete the repaving of Winter Street adjacent to the reservoir. Future repaving/restriping efforts target expansion of the westbound traffic to accommodate a total of 3 lanes that are in the permitting stage and targeted for constriction in Summer 2018.
- Established a plan in 2017 to track 10 key construction projects including the replacement of the Main Street Bridge at Exit 26.
- Supported efforts of the 128 Business Council to enhance its shuttle service in the region.
- Convened a transportation summit for members and guests. This included a construction report from the Mass Department of Transportation (MassDOT) and an update on the 128 Central Corridor Study by the Metropolitan Area Planning Council.
Winter Street Bridge Ribbon Cutting